Monday, September 6, 2010

Overcoming Fear

Fear is a funny thing. It propels us to act - as well as fail to act - accordingly to that which we are fearful of.

Blogging is a fear of mine which must be quelled. This fear of having your personal thoughts "out there," floating around in cyberspace, ready and waiting to somehow be judged, abused, or misinterpreted. Yes indeed these sorts of perversions are inevitable. But that is the problem... or should I say opinion... of the reader, and they are entitled to think what they want. As M. Williamson explains in the post below, my "playing small does not serve the world."

So here I am, up early due to jet lag and enjoying the beginnings of my first full day in Udaipur, India - the infamous "City of Lakes". One may think I have traveled here as a last ditch effort to escape my impending "adulthood," to experience freedom from Western obligation and its frenzied pace of life. I can't deny all of this statement. But instead of some frivolous tourist adventure, I want this journey of mine to be a time of giving, growth, and enlightenment:

Giving, that is selflessness, to the people I am in relationship with out here. The village children and their parents, my co-workers... the people I interact with each and every day.

Growth, in the sense of learning a new language/culture/hobbies, confronting bad habits, and refining my own character. Cultivating an integrity and inner-harmony that will serve as a bedrock throughout my years of adulthood.

Enlightenment, of my God-given skills, talents and natural inclinations. Insight into what career path I should pursue and what type of activities are fulfilling to me. Understanding into Eastern philosophies and their relation to those that I've grown up with. Mostly, how God fits into all of this mess, i.e. life.

I feel so blessed to have this opportunity. This is probably why I wish to make the most of it... and SHARE the experiences I have with others. Yeah, as you read this blog you may notice that I seem to get lost in my idealistic thoughts. Or I may at times seem super-serious and depressed about life. But hey, all of us are a little bit crazy; and it is precisely this act of letting our individuality shine which "liberates others." So for what its worth, here you are - take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment